IntraLase LASIK Flap Creation – King LASIK
The more you learn about LASIK eye surgery, the more you will see what a safe, life-changing operation it can be. LASIK stands for Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis (ker-a-toe-my-loosis) and is a two-step procedure that reshapes your cornea to allow light to properly focus on the retina. King LASIK’s expert eye surgeons ensure you are in the safest hands possible during your LASIK procedure.
There are two important steps to laser eye surgery. Every LASIK procedure begins with creation of a LASIK flap in the cornea. In Step One, your doctor creates a micro-thin flap of tissue on the outer layer of your eye, also known as the cornea. The flap is important for rapid healing, increased safety, greater comfort and better vision. In Step Two, your doctor folds open the flap so that an excimer laser can be used on the inner cornea to correct your vision. Your flap is then returned to its original position where it seals without stitches. To create the flap, our LASIK surgeons will use either the Intralase laser, the Hansatome zero-compression microkeratome, or the Zyoptix XP microkeratome. The microkeratome is a surgical instrument that is designed for precision and accuracy, helping to ensure that you get the safest, best results possible. We invest in the best technology available and newer methods of flap creation offered by our surgeons include creation of the flap with the Intralase.
With the IntraLase method, pulses of laser light create your corneal flap. The flap is lifted so the next step of LASIK – the reshaping of your cornea -can be performed. When your LASIK treatment is over, the flap is securely repositioned into place.
How the IntraLase Method Works
IntraLase technology is uniquely able to program the dimensions of your flap based on what’s best for your eye. Then the IntraLase laser creates your flap from below the surface of the cornea – without ever cutting it. How is such a safe method achieved?
- Ultra-fast pulses of laser light create microscopic bubbles at a precise depth determined by your surgeon.
- The laser creates rows of these bubbles just beneath your corneal surface as it moves back and forth across your eye in a uniform plane.
- Next, the IntraLase laser stacks bubbles around your corneal diameter to create the edges of your flap. These bubbles are stacked at an angle that is determined by your doctor and is individualized to the way your eye is shaped.
- The process takes only about 30 seconds from start to finish – it’s quiet, safe, and comfortable.
- Your surgeon then gently lifts the flap to allow for the second step of your LASIK treatment. When treatment is complete, the flap easily “locks” back into position and rapidly begins to heal.
We are committed to providing to you the ultimate in comfort, safety, and outstanding vision. We offer the latest flap creation technology, including IntraLase to help you achieve the goal of outstanding vision safely and comfortably.
To determine if you are a candidate for LASIK surgery, contact us to set up a FREE PRE-LASIK exam.