01 Dec Important: Read this Before Deciding on LASIK
Not everyone is an ideal candidate for laser eye surgery. Review this list before you decide:
Are You A Good Candidate for LASIK?
- Does your job allow LASIK eye surgery? If you’re not sure, it pays to check.
- Do you have an autoimmune disease? A major illness? A chronic condition that slows or changes your healing process? If the answer to any of these is ‘yes’, make sure you tell the optometrist during your pre-surgical exam.
- Other than needing glasses or contacts, do you have any other problems with your eyes? Again, make sure you tell the optometrist during the exam.
- Are you taking any drugs that might prevent healing? Some steroids, for example, can interfere with recovery after any procedure.
Is Your Surgeon Qualified?
- How many LASIK surgeries has your doctor performed, with the same laser? This is important. Each system is different, and a doctor’s experience with the laser is a crucial piece of their expertise.
- Does your doctor use an FDA-approved laser?
- Will your surgeon answer all your questions about the LASIK procedure?
- Does your doctor provide post-operative care and encourage follow-up? This doesn’t necessarily have to be by the surgeon, but it’s important that the surgeon is involved.
- Are you comfortable with your doctor? The best surgeon in the world may not be best for you if you don’t get along.
Note that this article is not meant to be medical advice. Please see your doctor before deciding on any medical procedure.